Thursday, September 16, 2010

Eggplant & Mozzarella Melt


Let me tell you, I got loads of inspiration from that Everyday Foods, July/August 2005.  They had some good stuff in there!  Including this Eggplant & Mozzarella Melt that I made later in the week.  Let's get serious though, this is an Eggplant Parm Hero, plain and simple.

The recipe called to bake the eggplant, but try as hard as I might I just don't like eggplant baked.  Maybe I'm not doing it right? Possibly.  For me, there is just something about frying it up in a heavenly breadcrumb batter that makes eggplant oh-so-magical.  Come here my little fried, magical eggplant. Let me pet you. Good little fried eggplant. Let me eat you. Oh, you are so yummy my eggplant friend!

Oh, ahem. Sorry, where was I?

Right, eggplant parm.  So I double battered the eggplant to give it a good thick coating of breadcrumbs then fried it up in the pan.  I bought some awesome crunchy bread and (ridiculously expensive) fresh mozz at the farmers market earlier in the day which worked out just perfectly. Hmmm... I was hungry just cooking it all!  I'm hungry now just thinking about it all!!  Once everything was all fried up, laid out on the bread, sauce and cheese added, I threw it in the oven at 350 degrees until the cheese was melty and bubbly. I probably could have let it brown more but I was hungry.

My hubby2B and I were all mesmerized by the sandwich that we both totally ignored our tossed side salads.  Oh, well. More veggies tomorrow.  It was an awesome weeknight meal, if I do say so myself. 


Eggplant & Mozzarella Melt

Serves 4
  • 2 large eggs
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 3/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
  • Olive oil, for baking sheet
  • 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
  • 1 loaf (8 ounces) soft Italian bread
  • 2 cups store-bought tomato sauce
  • 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat eggs with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread breadcrumbs in a pie plate or shallow bowl. 2. Oil a rimmed baking sheet. Dip eggplant rounds in egg, then dredge in breadcrumbs, turning to coat completely; transfer to prepared baking sheet. Bake (without turning) until golden and tender, 15 to 20 minutes. (need I repeat? I fried these suckers instead.)
3. Meanwhile, split bread lengthwise, and place cut side up on another baking sheet; press gently in centers to create a well. Layer both halves with tomato sauce, eggplant, and cheese. Bake until cheese is browned in spots, 6 to 8 minutes.

Everyday Foods, July/August 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment